1956—A Modern Deer Emerges
The 1956 trademark, which came into use but wasn't actually registered until 1962, represents yet again the call for a simpler design. The slogan "Quality Farm Equipment" was dropped. By then, John Deere was established in the construction equipment industry, and contractors and loggers became familiar with yellow and black machines bearing the symbol. A radius was given to the corners of the border and a slight curve was added to all four sides of the ellipse. The words "John Deere" were placed below the leaping deer for the first time and set in a more modern, sans serif letter style. The deer itself was left relatively unchanged: legs extended, antlers forward.
Copyright© 2003 Deere & Company Archives